Jobs and Internships
Intern, Center for International Media Assistance / Spring 2015 -- (Job #1467)
The National Endowment for Democracy(NED) is a congressionally funded, private, nonprofit grant making organization that works to support freedom around the world. The Center for International Media Assistance(CIMA), an initiative of NED, approaches its mission by providing information, building networks, conducting research, and highlighting the indispensable role independent media play in the creation and development of sustainable democracies around the world.
CIMA is currently seeking an intern for spring 2015. The unpaid internship is open to current graduate or undergraduate students. Working on a small team, the intern will play a key role in supporting CIMA’s core activities, including assisting with events, publications, and mailings. The Intern will also have the opportunity, under CIMA staff guidance, to conduct original research and contribute to CIMA’s blog on a topic relevant to their interests. The internship is a unique opportunity to learn more about an emerging field in development and media. The position is based in Washington, D.C.
- Must be enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program at an accredited university, with a strong interest in democracy development and/or international affairs. Candidates must be able to receive academic credit for the internship and therefore must be enrolled in a program in a related field.
- Possess excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Maintain a strong work ethic and a sharp attention to detail
- Qualified candidates should have excellent writing skills, strong analytical skills, maintain a strong work ethic and have sharp attention to detail.
- Students must also have strong computer skills.
- Applicants should have an interest in journalism, international relations, development, and/or democracy work.
- Manage CIMA’s subscription-based email listings.
- Assist with updating and maintaining CIMA’s website, as well as design and format of CIMA reports.
- Attend meetings and hearings on media development topics as necessary.
- Assist with arranging and executing meetings and events.
- The internship is open to current undergraduate or graduate students.
- Applicants must have experience with content management systems (Drupal preferred), Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign and Illustrator preferred).
- Applicants should have an interest in journalism, international relations, development, or democracy work.
- Applicants with graphic design skills and background are highly desired.
Time Commitment: 24-40 hrs/week (not to exceed 40 hours per week) commitment for the duration of the internship.
Travel Reimbursement: $10/day for commuter expenses
NED Application Deadline: December 6, 2014
Anticipated Start Date: o/a January 12, 2015
Orientation Dates: January 12-16, 2015
Anticipate End Date: Mid - May 2015
Authorization: Candidates must be authorized to work in the U.S.
How to Apply: Please send a copy of your completed application for academic credit for internship, cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references. Please send to firstname.lastname@example.org, with your name and CIMA Intern – Job #1467 in the subject line. The NED is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Please no phone calls. For more information, please visit our website at www.ned.org.